Australia eases past Bangladesh for a consolation win
Sidelights – ICC World T20 | Bangladesh Vs Australia
Though it was a dead rubber but the game was still important for both the sides as both had not won any single game before this in the tournament and it was Australia who finished on the victory line first. For Bangladesh, it was their last chance to show their character in front of their home crowd but that was not to be.
ICC World T20 | Group 2 | Match 31 | Bangladesh Vs Australia
Venue: Shere Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur
Toss: Bangladesh and elected to bat first
Bangladesh: Tamim Iqbal, Anamul Haque, Shakib Al Hasan, Mushfiqur Rahim, Mahmudullah, Nasir Hossain, Mominul Haque, Sohag Gazi, Abdur Razzak, Al-Amin Hossain, Taskin Ahmed
Australia: Aaron Finch, David Warner, Cameron White, Glenn Maxwell, George Bailey, Shane Watson, Daniel Christian, Brad Haddin, Mitchell Starc, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Doug Bollinger
Mini Score Card:
Bangladesh 153/5 (20) – Shakib Al Hasan 66 (52) | Nathan Coulter-Nile 2/17 (3)
Australia 158/3 (17.3) – Aaron Finch 72 (45) | Al – Amin Hossain 2/30 (3.3)
Result: Australia won by 7 wickets
Points: Australia 2 (2), Bangladesh 0
Man of the match: Aaron Finch (Australia)
Umpires: Kumar Dharmasena (Sri Lanka) | Marais Erasmus (South Africa) | Ian Gould (3rd – England) | Richard Kettleborough (England)
How they played the game:
Powerplay: Bangladesh 32 runs, 2 wickets | Australia 52 runs, O wicket
First 50 runs: Bangladesh 47 balls | Australia 35 balls
50-100 runs: Bangladesh 37 balls | Australia 35 balls
100-150 runs: Bangladesh 37 balls | Australia 34 balls
Bangladesh 3rd Wicket – 112 runs off 79 balls | Contributors: Shakib Al Hasan 56 (43) and Mushfiqur Rahim 47 (36)
Australia 1st Wicket – 98 runs off 68 balls | Contributors: David Warner 48 (35) | Aaron Finch 47 (33)
Bangladesh 12 (Shakib Al Hasan and Mushfiqur Rahim – 5, Nasir Hossain – 2)
Australia 16 (Aaron Finch – 7, David Warner – 5, Cameron White – 2, Glenn Maxwell and George Bailey – 1)
Bangladesh 4 (Shakib Al Hasan – 3, Mushfiqur Rahim – 1)
Australia 8 (Aaron Finch – 4, David Warner – 3, George Bailey 1)
Important facts of the match
- Taskin Ahmed made his debut for Bangladesh
- Shakib Al Hasan’s fifty was the first fifty by a Bangladeshi batsman in World T20
- After scoring 66 runs Shakib became the top run scorer for Bangladesh in T20I. He has scored 752 runs till now at an average of 22.78.
- 112 runs partnership between Shakib Al Hasan and Mushfiqur Rahim was the best partnership for Bangladesh in T20Is.
- Shakib Al Hasan’s 0/36 in 3 overs is the worst ever bowling figures in T20Is.
- Bangladesh’s Al- Amin Hossain was fined 15% of his match fees for sending off David Warner after dismissing him.
In the Pic: Aaron Finch clips it on the leg side
Picture courtesy: ESPN Cricinfo