Golf is a professional game played by individual professionals but apart from that, there are also few tournaments in which the golfers are involved as a part of a team. For those who are aware of the Ryder Cup and the Presidents Cup only, let us inform them that there are total 12 such golfing tournaments exist in which two teams compete with each other, including the Ryder Cup and the Presidents Cup. Let us know more about these important tournaments in brief.
Important Team Tournaments in Golf
Here are 12 of the most important team tournaments in Golf.
- Ryder Cup: Played between the teams of Europe and USA every alternate year and hosted by the teams alternatively. It has a long history of over a 100 years.
- Presidents Cup: The tournament is more or less on the same format of the Ryder Cup, but it is played between the USA team and the International Team. The Presidents Cup is also a biannual tournament.
- Seve Trophy: Founded by the great golfer from Spain, Seve Ballesteros, the tournament is played between players from Great Britain and Ireland against the rest of the European continent. Seve Trophy is held when there is no Ryder Cup.
- Royal Trophy: A golfing team tournament between the golfers from Europe and Asia. It is an eight a side tournament, founded in 2006.
- EurAsia Cup: Another team competition between Europe and Asia, but it is a ten a side tournament and was established in 2014 only.
- Solheim Cup: An equivalent tournament to Ryder Cup between USA and Europe professional Ladies golfers. It has the same format what the Ryder Cup has.
- Walker Cup: A team comprised from the UK and Ireland amateur golfers plays against the USA amateur golfers for the Walker Cup trophy.
- Curtis Cup: Same as a Walker Cup, but this tournament is for the ladies amateur golfers from USA and Great Britain and Ireland.
- The PGA Cup: A team tournament between the professional club golfers from the USA and Great Britain, hosted by the PGA Tour.
- Palmer Cup: A tournament named after the legendary golfer Arnold Palmer in which the USA and European college/university golfers compete as a team against each other.
- Junior Ryder Cup: As the name suggests it is a team match between the boys and girls from USA and Europe.
- Junior Solheim Cup: A team match between US and European girls who are from the vicinity of the Solheim Cup.