Sidelights – ICC World T20 | Nepal Vs Hong Kong
No boring match reports! Just the most important info about the second match of the ICC World T20 2014, between Nepal and Hong Kong.
ICC World T20 | First Round – Match 2 | Nepal Vs Hong Kong
Mini Score Card
Toss:Hong Kong who elected to bowl first
T20I Debutes: None of the players from both the teams have ever played T20Is before this match hence everyone played the game made their T20I debuts.
From Hong Kong: Aizaz Khan, JJ Atkinson, Babar Hayat, MS Chapman, Haseeb Amjad, Irfan Ahmed, Nadeem Ahmed, Najeeb Amar, Nizakat Khan, Tanwir Afzal, Waqas Barkat.
From Nepal: B Bhandari, NB Budayair, SP Gauchan, P Khadka, SP Khakurel, G Mall, J Mukhiya, B Regmi, Sagar Pun, Sompal Kami, S Vesawkar
Nepal 149/8 (20) – Gyandendra Malla 48 (41) | P Khadka 41 (37) | Haseeb Amjad 3/25
Hong Kong 69 All Out (17) – Babar Hayat 20 (25) | SP Gauchan 3/9 | B Regmi 3/14
Result: Nepal won by 80 runs
Points: Nepal 2, Hong Kong 0
Man of the match: SP Gauchan
Umpires: Aleem Dar (Pakistan) | Rod Tucker (Australia) | Paul Reiffel (3rd– Australia) | S. Ravi (India-Reserve)
Match Referee: Javagal Srinath (India)
How they played the game
Power Plays:Nepal – 44 runs, 2 wickets | Hong Kong 35 runs, 2 wickets
First 50 runs:Nepal 47 balls, Hong Kong 58 balls
First 100 runs:Nepal 87 balls
Nepal: 80 from 67 balls | Contributors: Paras Khadka 41 (37) and Gyanendra Malla 30 (30)
Hong Kong: 28 from 28 balls | Contributors: Waqas Barkat 16 (15) and Babar Hayat 12 (13)
Important facts about the match:
- This is the first time in five years an associate member has won a match in ICC World T20.
- Last time in 1999 ICC World Cup an associate member, Ireland tasted the victory by defeating Bangladesh.
- Previously Nepal had beaten Hong Kong twice in any T20 game, last time in the qualifying tournament in Abu Dhabi when they beat Hong Kong on the very last ball.
- All 22 players involved in the match made their T20I debut. NP Budayair and Sompal Kami of Nepal made their T20 debuts.
- Five wickets in five balls: Nepal lost their last 4 wickets in 4 balls Hong Kong then lost a wicket off the first ball
In the picture: Shakti Gunchan (Nepal).
Pic Courtesy: ESPN-Cricinfo