The FIFA World Cup 2014 is about to get kick start in Brazil and if you still are not aware about under what format this mega event will be played then don’t worry, Sportycious is going to make you understand the format in the easiest possible way. So get…set….and go!
The FIFA World Cup 2014 Format
- Three stages
- Group Stage
- Knockout stages
- Group of 16
- Semi Finals
- Play-off for the third place and the mega final
- Group Stage
Total 32 teams will take part in the group stage. All 32 teams are divided in 8 Groups like Group A, Group B, Group C, Group D, Group E, Group F, Group G and Group H.
- Each team in each group is seeded by FIFA by a final draw done in Brazil on 6th December 2013. The seeds are like A1, A2, A3 and so on. For example, Brazil is given A1 seed.
- Group A: Brazil A1, Croatia A2, Mexico A3, Cameroon A4
- Group B: Spain B1, Netherlands B2, Chile B3, Australia B4
- Group C: Columbia C1, Greece C2, Cote d’Ivoire C3, Japan C4
- Group D: Uruguay D1, Costa Rica D2, England D3, Italy D4
- Group E: Switzerland E1, Ecuador E2, France E3, Honduras E4
- Group F: Argentina F1, Bosnia and Herzegovina F2, Iran F3, Nigeria F4
- Group G: Germany G1, Portugal G2, Ghana G3, USA G4
- Group H: Belgium H1, Algeria H2, Russia H3, South Korea H4
League Matches Format
Each team in each group will play against each other once. The winner will be awarded 3 points. In case of a draw both teams will get 1 point each. There is no point for the losing team.
How will the Teams Qualify for the Next Round?
First the greatest number of points will be taken in to account, then the goal difference in all group matches and then the highest number of goals in all group matches.
Even then, if Two Teams Tie then?
In that case the winner team of the two concern teams will qualify and even then there is no clear picture then the goal difference between the team concerned will be counted, the greater number of goals between those two teams will be then counted if the clear qualifier is not found. After doing this exercise and we still don’t have a clear qualifier then FIFA Organizing Committee will draw lots.
Round of Sixteen (Knockout Stage)
Winner A Vs Runner up B = 1
Winner B Vs Runner up A = 2
Winner C Vs Runner up D = 3
Winner D Vs Runner up C = 4
Winner E Vs Runner up F = 5
Winner F Vs Runner up E = 6
Winner G Vs Runner up H = 7
Winner H Vs Runner up G = 8
Important Note: If the scores are level after full 90 minutes extra time of two halves of 15 minutes each will be played. Even then the scores remained untied, the penalty kicks will be taken to decide the winner.
Winners of eight matches in the round of sixteen will qualify for the quarter finals and the draw for the Quarterfinals are as under
Winner 1 Vs Winner 3 = A
Winner 2 Vs Winner 4 = B
Winner 5 Vs Winner 7 = C
Winner 6 Vs Winner 8 = D
Rules for tied score will apply same as they are for the Group of 16
Semi – Finals
Winner A Vs Winner C
Winner B Vs Winner D
Rules for the tied scores will be apply same as they are for the Group of 16
Play-offs and Finals
Winners of the both the semi finals will qualify for the Finals and losers will play for the third place play off.