Surfing facts: Funny and important facts about Surfing
(Last Updated On: October 25, 2016)
- The first surfing boards were heavy and fin-less and they were hard to control as they were made of simple wooden material.
- There is a term in Surfing called Booger, and Sponger which means a body boarder.
- When a Surfer gulps a sea water without any intention it is called A Neptune Cocktail.
- Uniliver introduced the Surf detergent powder in 1959 and in many parts of the world, it has become the second name of washing powder.
- Skateboarding can be called as a bi-product of Surfing as the boards have wheels and person can surf on wooden frames.
- Australian researchers have introduced a unique colored wetsuits which are supposed to protect surfers from shark attacks.
- The word ‘surfing’ on the internet has also been generated from the sport of Surfing. The first time this word was used in 1992.
- Every year June 20th is celebrated as International Surfing Day.
- “Surfing is like a Mafia. Once you are in-you are in, there is no getting out.” – Kelly Slater.
- In 1999 the University of Playmouth became the first University to offer a degree course in the Surf Science and Technology.
- Kelly Slater is known as the highest paid surfer who won three million dollars as ninth time winner of World Surfing Championship in 2009.
- As per a survey done by an American surfing magazine, 66% of surfers think about sharks while they surf on the waves.
- The biggest wave recorded till now was of 530 meters in the southern coast of Alaska of Lituya bay.
- When 110 surfers lined up on the same wave in Cape Town in 2009, it became the world record of the most number of surfers riding on a single wave.
- Gary Saavedra holds the record of the longest surfing ride in 2011, when he surfed for 3 hours and 55 minutes, although the waves were artificially created by power boat.
- ‘Abbie Girl’ the female dog holds the world record of longest do-ridden-wave of 107.2 meters.
- The longest natural ride on a wave has a distance of 12.5 km and 37 minutes.
- Patrick Swayze, the actor, broke four ribs when he was shooting for the movie, ‘Point Break’ in the year 1991.
- The Coronado Bay Resort in California holds a surfing competition every year.
- Actress Cameron Diaz has broken her nose four times while surfing, who says the waves are soft?
(Visited 1,856 times, 1 visits today)