West Indies overcomes clueless Bangladesh
ICC World T20 | Group 2 | Match 20 | Bangladesh Vs West Indies
Venue: Shere Bangla National Stadium, Mirupur
Toss: Bangladesh and elected to field first
West Indies: Dwayne Smith, Chris Gayle, Lendle Simmons, Marlon Samuels, Darren Sammy, Andre Russell, Dwayne Bravo, Denesh Ramdin, Sunil Narine, Samuel Badree, Krishmar Santokie
Bangladesh: Tamim Iqbal, Anamul Haque, Mominul Haque, Shakib Al Hasan, Mushfiqur Rahim, Sabbir Rahman, Mahmudullah, Ziaur Rahman, Sohag Gazi, Mashrafe Mortaza, Al-Amin Hossain
Mini Score Card:
West Indies 171/7 (20) Dwayne Smith 70 (43) | Al-Amin Hossain 3/21 (4)
Bangladesh 98 – all out (19.1) Mushfiqur Rahim 22 (22) | Samuel Badree 4/15 (4)
Result: West Indies won by 73 runs
Points: West Indies 2 (2), Bangladesh 0
Man of the match: Dwayne Smith (West Indies)
Umpires: Richard Kettleborough, Nigel Llong and Richard Illingworth (3rd) (All England) | Kumar Dharamasena (Reserve – Sri Lanka)
Match Referee: Ranjan Madugalle (Sri Lanka)
How they played the game
Powerplay: West Indies 36 runs, 0 wicket | Bangladesh 29 runs, 3 wickets
First 50 runs: West Indies 47 balls | Bangladesh 52 balls
50-100 runs: West Indies 29 balls | Bangladesh 98 – all out
100-150 runs: West Indies 33 balls
West Indies 1st Wicket – 97 runs off 71 balls | Contributors: Dwayne Smith 72 (43) and Chris Gayle 19 (28)
Bangladesh 4th Wicket – 35 runs off 35 balls | Contributors: Mushfiqur Rahim 17 (18) and Mominul Haque 15(17)
West Indies: 17 (10 – Dwayne Smith | 3 – Chris Gayle and Darren Sammy | 1 – Marlon Samuels)
Bangladesh: 10 (3- Mashrafe Mortaza | 2 – Anamul Haque, Mominul Haque and Mushfiqur Rahim | 1 – Tamim Iqbal)
West Indies: 5 (3 – Dwayne Smith | 2 – Chris Gayle)
Bangladesh: 1 (Mushfiqur Rahim)
Important facts about the match
- From 6.1 overs onwards Lendle Simmons kept wickets in place of Denesh Ramdin.
- Gayle’s 26 runs came from 38 balls which is the second slowest 25 runs in the history of T20I.
- This is Bangladesh’s second worst defeat in T20I, first against Pakistan by 103 runs in Karachi, 2008
- Dwayne Smith’s 72 runs is his personal best score in T20I defeating his previous score of 70 against England in Trent Bridge in 2012.
- Lendl Simmons became the 3rd batsman in T20I to get out stumped on a wide ball, first two being Kieron Pollard and Narsingh Deonarine, both from West Indies.
- Al-Amin’s figures of 3/21 are the best bowling figures by a Bangladeshi fast bowler in T20I.
- Samuel Badree’s figures of 4/15 are not only his personal best but also the best for West Indies in the World T20.
In the pic: Samuel Badree bowls best bowling for West Indies in World T20
Picture Courtesy: ESPN Cricinfo