The English Premier League is without a doubt one of – if not the – top football leagues in the entire world. Throughout its storied history, it has helped develop some of the most skilled and accomplished footballers of all time. But you already know all that, of course.
What about some Premier League factoids that you are less familiar with? Here are 7 things you did not know about the English Premier League. These are some smart football stats you’d want to know about!
Interesting English Premier League Facts:
- There are only two players in league history who have scored penalty shots with both feet. Maybe this shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise, after all, why would some of the best strikers in the world ever choose to send the ball towards goal on their off-foot? Well, two have done it in league history; Obafemi Martins and Bobby Zamora. How’s that for trickery?
- This might not come as too much of a surprise, both due to his career length. The player who has been replaced in-game the most times in league history is Manchester United legend, Ryan Giggs. In his storied career, Giggs was subbed out a total of 134 times.
- Mario Balotelli only recorded one goal assist during his time in the EPL. You read that right. The player who for both Manchester City and Liverpool only recorded one assist during his time in Britain. It came at the right time, however, when he shuttled the ball over to Sergio Aguero who put the ball in the back of the net and helped secure the title for the first time in 44 years.
- Brian Deane scored the very first goal in Premier League history. While English soccer has been around for hundreds of years, the EPL is still rather new. Back in August 15, 1992, Dean scored the league’s first goal for Sheffield United while playing against powerhouse Manchester United.
- There are only three players in league history who has scored, assisted and committed an own goal in one game. Those players are Kevin Davies, Gareth Bale, and Wayne Rooney. Davies did it against Aston Vila in 2008, Bale did it vs. Liverpool in 2012, and Rooney did it in the very same year against Stoke City.
- There are two teams that won the league just one time. Those two teams are Blackburn in the 1994-95 season and Leicester in the 2015-16 season. The Leicester league win came as one of the biggest surprises in sports of that year and is still considered to be one of the greatest underdog stories of all time.
- The player who has scored the most goals in his EPL career is Alan Shearer. Shearer enjoyed a legendary career of 20 years, playing for Southampton, New Castle, and Blackburn. In his career, he scored 283 goals and enjoyed three seasons in which he scored 30 goals in the EPL. He also still holds the record for most hat tricks in the EPL with 11 and the record for most penalty goals in the league with 58.