After learning about what exactly the game of Handball is and about two different variants of it, now it’s time to know some of the funny or important facts about Handball. So here we are with some of the most interesting facts about the game called Handball.
Some of the most interesting facts about Handball
- If you look at the fastest game of handball carefully, you will realize that it is a combination of three games, basketball, football and water polo.
- There are two main referees in the game of handball, one is a court referee and the other is a goal line referee.
- The most interesting thing about handball is that the players are not restricted with the number of faults they produce.
- With more nations joining in the beach handball is getting more popular and probably may take over the indoor handball in coming years.
- Not only the size, but the softness of the ball also differs in man, women and children’s fun handball games.
- The origin of the game was believed to be in Greece in the ancient times.
- Though it is not popular outside, it is believed that it is the second largest sport in Europe after football.
- European handball for kids: In the European style the player is allowed to take three steps before passing on the ball to the other player, but in the American version only one step is allowed for the players.
- The goalkeeper can move both inside and the outside of the goal line , but the rest of the players are allowed only outside of the goal line and not the inside.
- The handball player can hold the ball only for three seconds.
- The first ever international handball game for men was played between Germany and Belgium in 1925 and for women it was played between team handball Germany and Austria in 1930.
- Handball is believed to be the second fastest game on the earth or world after ice hockey.
- Just like in football the ball must not touch player’s hands apart from the goalkeeper in the handball it is exactly the reverse, the ball must not touch the player’s legs with goalkeeper is allowed.
- Johan Pettersson a Swedish handball player almost died when he bumped into the goalkeeper in a game in 2002 in which he lost a couple of his teeth and had almost swallowed his tongue.