Sports is not about playing it on the field and enjoying it and analyzing it as and when it is unfolding before our eyes. Sports are also about some fun and facts attached to it also. Tennis is by no mean is just a game which is played on a court with two rackets and a tennis ball. Having a long history the game of Tennis is associated with some funny and fantastic facts also. Those facts are either not known to you or even if you know them, they might still interest you and make you smile.
After doing some research, Sportycious has also come up with such facts and funs which are very much part of the game called Tennis. So let us have a joyride!!
- In the year 1874, the game of lawn tennis was patented under the name of ‘Sphairistike’ by Major Walter Clopton Wingfield which means ‘a feminine adjective which is related to a ball game’ in Greek.
- Wingfield designed an hour glass shaped court which was later changed into a rectangular court in the year 1875 by the All England Croquet Club at Wimbledon
- Spencer Gore was the first Wimbledon Champion in the year 1877. After winning he was of the opinion that “this new game (with a rectangular court) would not catch on.”
- Every ball used in a Tennis game is in play for about 20 minutes only if a game lasts for two and half hours.
- A recommended remedy for snoring is to sew a tennis ball into the back of a person’s pyjamas who snores a lot.
- In the year 1498, Charles Vill of France died after hitting his head on the door of Real Tennis Court.
- Goran Ivanisevic is the only Wimbledon winning player whose name has consonants and vowels in alternative order.
- The fastest serve in the women’s tennis circuit was served by Venus Williams at 205 km/hr.
- Yellow Tennis balls were used at Wimbledon for the first time in the year 1986.
- Every year about 24 tons of Kent Strawberries are ordered at the Wimbledon.
- In 1932, Henry “Bunny” Austin became the first player to wear shorts at the Wimbledon.
- Wimbledon is the only major tennis tournament, which holds the game on grass since it was started.
- Women used to wear a full length dresses when the Wimbledon tournament was started for them.
- Margaret Smith Court has won the maximum number of Grand Slam titles, which are 24.
- Arthur Ashe was the first African American to win the US Open.
- Venus and Serena Williams are the only sisters who have won an Olympic Gold Medal in Tennis.