Volleyball is one of those unique sports of the world which have a very short but impressive history. Very few people know that like Basketball and Baseball, Volleyball too was invented in the United States of America and later it traveled across the globe and became popular. Volleyball is one of the most played sports in schools because it is easy to understand, but yet it keeps on challenging the players.
History Of Volleyball
Volleyball has a fact and a history of 119 years. In the year 1985, William G. Morgan, who was a sports instructor in YMCA in Massachusetts, invented the game of Volleyball. Morgan wanted to invent a game that has elements of Basketball, Tennis, Baseball, and Handball, and a fast pace with little physical contact. Volleyball was initially called “mintonette” but when Morgan observed that the players often use volley to earn points from back and forth over the net, he renamed the name with ‘Volleyball’. The first-ever official game of Volleyball was played at Springfield College in Massachusetts on the 7th of July, 1896.
- OFFICIAL SIZE & WEIGHT: The size & weight used at the pro level, ideal for ages 13 and up.
- GRAFITTI DESIGN: An artistic graffiti design is inspired by iconic beach volleyball locations and lifestyle.
- ENHANCED DURABILITY: 18-Panel, machine-sewn construction for durability that lasts for hours upon hours of play.
- EXTENDED AIR RETENTION: Butyl rubber bladder keeps the ball inflated for longer, reducing the need to re-inflate.
- RECREATIONAL PLAY: An exciting design and great durability make this the perfect ball for playing in the backyard, park, or beach.
- Wilson AVP Soft Play Volleyball - Official Size, White
- AVP Official Size: The size & weight used by the AVP, ideal for ages 13 and up
- Softer Feel: Sponge-backed synthetic leather cover creates a super-soft feel on every touch
- Enhanced Durability: 18-Panel, machine-sewn construction for durability that lasts for hours upon hours of play
- Extended Air Retention: Butyl rubber bladder keeps the ball inflated for longer, reducing the need to re-inflate. Recreational Play: The soft feel and great durability make this the perfect ball for playing in the backyard, park, or beach.
- All-Age Volleyball Training Equipment: The standard size volleyball can be used both indoors and outdoors, for learning, training, and competition. It is a perfect gift ideal choice for all ages, also, from children to the elderly.
- Durable Soft Volleyball: This volleyball with pump is resistant to wear and tear. It features damage-resistant soft materials, precisely stitched by machines to ensure even sewing. It maintains its inflation without leaking air.
- Waterproof Beach Volleyball: The official size volleyball can survive an occasional dunk in the ocean, without taking on water and throwing off the weight. While playing the outdoor volleyball, with a couple of friends during vacation, Don’t have to worry about it being damaged. Just simply wipe the surface of it with a dry cloth and continue playing, prolonging the ball’s lifespan and adding years to your fun.
- Inflation Level: For beach volleyball ball pressure, the inflation setting is set between 2.5 and 3.2 psi, versus up to around 6 for indoor play. This is because the softer surface of the sand requires less inflation to rebound efficiently. You can pump gas in or out according to your needs.
- Attention: The volleyball is deflated - you need to inflate the ball, with any inflator with a pin attachment. Don't worry if you can't inflate, we will come with an instruction manual, you can easily master this skill.
- Woven-fiber 'V100' composite volleyball
- Cotton reinforcement to provide a soft and consistent touch
- Single unit construction
- Ball ships deflated. Inflation is required. Pump not included.
- 🏐 LEARN HOW TO SERVE LIKE A PRO – With Volleyball Star Training Kit you can now learn how to serve like a pro with ease. Our smart design ball rebounder will gonna help you to spend more time HITTING the ball by eliminating the need to chasing it after every serve you make. Great solo practice for all experience level from beginners to experts. You can use this serving trainer equipment to improve your swing motion technique or just to fast warm up your serving moves before a volleyball game
- 🏐 IMPROVE YOUR SETTING TECHNIQUE - This aid set will help you to keep your hands in the right position, giving you better control of the ball and teaching you the proper setting technique during setting drills. This volleyball setting straps are great to use during setting drills for players of all skill levels.
- 🏐 SMART DESIGN ADJUSTMENT SYSTEM – All products from Volleyball Training Equipment Aid Kit can be adjusted to fit all ages, from kids to teenagers to adults. Also our ball pouch from serving trainer can fits any size sports balls, can be a football, a soccer ball, even a basketball. We only used top quality materials and durable velcro straps.
- 🏐 LONGEST AND WIDEST ELASTIC CORD FROM AMAZON – Adjust the elastic cord length by increasing the length up to 78 INCHES for hitting application or shorten down to 40 INCHES for more isolated technique training. With a WIDE of 0.78 INCHES you can now practice your favorite sport without worrying about your training equipment will break. Practice like you've never won, Perform like you've never lost.
- 🏐 PERFECT VOLLEYBALL SERVING TRAINER - Fast volleyball serving skills improvement without the need of another player. Practice your volleyball serve in your own backyard in a total safe environment.
Some Interesting & Fun Facts about Volleyball
Volleyball is one of the most widely played sports all over the world that is enjoyed by both men and women. It is also among the most played school sports as it challenges the players both physically and mentally. Here are some interesting facts about the sport of volleyball.
- Volleyball was invented in 1895 by William G. Morgan who created a new game known as Mintonette that had elements of Tennis, Basketball, Handball, and Baseball. Since the players mostly used volleys to earn points as they moved the ball back and forth, the game quickly earned the name of volleyball.
- The first official game of Volleyball ever to be played was held at Springfield College in Massachusetts on July 7th, 1896.
- The first 2-man beach volleyball game was actually played in the year 1930.
- The first Volleyball World Championships were organized for men in 1949 and for women in 1952.
- The game of volleyball was introduced for the first time in the Olympics in the year 1964.
- The first specially designed ball made for the sport of volleyball was created in the year 1900.
- Most players in a volleyball match jump around 300 times in a particular game.
- The longest recorded game of volleyball was played in Kingston, North Carolina. The game went on for 75 hours and 30 minutes.
- Volleyball is currently the 2nd most popular form of sport in the world today and is exceeded only by the game of soccer.
- A game of volleyball is played by two teams each having six players.
- While the list of volleyball facts, rules, and regulations associated with the sport is extensive, the basic rules imply that the players are supposed to prevent the ball from hitting the ground on their own court by only touching the ball three times albeit by different players.
- Faults are calculated on double hits by a single player, four consecutive hits at the same time, touching the net while playing, throwing the ball after catching it, and the foot crossing the boundary line while playing.
- Beach volleyball is a more glamorous version of the court game and is usually played by 3 or 4 players on a given side. The game of beach volleyball was included as part of the Olympics from the year 1996 for both men as well as women.
- During a match held in the Philippines in 1916, the notable skills of spike and set were originated.
- Volleyball was presented as an unofficial sports event in the 1924 Paris Olympics.
- The FIVB or Fédération Internationale de Volleyball was founded in 1947 which made volleyball an official game.
- The first professional tournament of beach volleyball was held at the Will Rogers State Beach in the summer of 1976. It was known as the “Olympia World Championship of Beach Volleyball”.
- Volleyball is a highly popular sport among men and women of all ages since it is a great form of workout.
- More than 800 million people all over the world and 46 million people in America play the game of volleyball every week.
- Like any other sport, Volleyball to has a long list of rules and regulations, but to make it short, we can say that it is a game which is played between two teams of six players separated by a net.
- A player on one of the teams begins by serving the ball from behind of the back boundary line into the receiving team’s court. The receiving team must not let the ball touch the ground and return it to the opposing team in 3 tries at the max.
- An individual player is not allowed to touch the ball twice consecutively. The ball can be played either bypassing or releasing with a volley. No player in any condition is allowed to touch the net. A team who reaches 25 points first with a difference of two points wins the set.
- Each team has six players, 3 are placed on the front row and the remaining 3 are placed on the back row. When the ball is in succession, it cannot be hit by the player twice.
- A ball is considered to be out if it, Hits the floor outside the court, an antennae, any referee stand or pole, and any cable or net outside the antennae.
- It is more than okay for a player to contact the ball with any part of their body. But it’s not legal to hold, catch, or throw the ball. Once the serving is done, frontline players are allowed to switch their positions at the net.
- If there comes a situation where two or more players come in contact with the ball at the same time, then it is considered to be one play. Here any one player may take the lead, and the other may follow.
- Every time a player makes the ball touch the ground, that particular team gets that point. No player has the authority to block or attack a serve from on or inside the 10-foot line.
- When you’re competing at higher levels, the official crew may consist of two referees, a scorer, line judges, and an assistant scorer.
Basic Requirements For Volleyball
- A Volleyball Team consists of a total of 6 players.
- This game consists of 5 sets, any team with the best three sets out of five will win the match.
- Talking about the court, it is generally 9 m wide and 18 m long. Besides this, it is mostly divided from the exact center.
- For Men Tournaments, the net is to be kept at the height of 2.43 meters whereas, for Women’s Tournaments, the net’s height is to be kept at 2.24 meters.
- As already mentioned by ESPN, this game consists of 5 sets, and each of these sets has 25 points. In some cases, 15 points matches have also been played.
- You can score a point only when the ball touches the opponent’s court.
- Both the teams get equal opportunities to touch the ball prior to batting it across with their hands. Well, here the ball has to be touched by three different people.
- The Libero player is the one who is specialized in defensive skills. This player dons a different color jersey from his / her other teammates.
- The ball used in volleyball games is made from synthetic leather with a circumference of 65–67 cm and a weight of 260–280 g.
- A competitive volleyball match lasts for 60 – minutes whereas a social volleyball lasts for 45 – minutes.
Also Read: Greatest Volleyball Players
Beach Volleyball is a glamorous version of Volleyball. It is as competitive as the original game is. It was started in the 1920s in Santa Monica in California. Beach Volleyball consists of 3 to 4 players. The game became an instant hit and was included in the 1996 Olympics for both men and women categories.
When was volleyball invented?
The game of volleyball was invented almost 119 years ago by William G. Morgan. He was a sports instructor at the YMCA in Massachusetts. Morgan wished to bring a sport that was not much physically demanding and that is how he found Volleyball. For him, Volleyball was an alternative to Naismith’s basketball that would attract a larger number of people.
What is the purpose of volleyball?
One of the main objectives of volleyball is to score more points than the opposing team.
It can be done by throwing the ball over the net and putting it inside the opposing team’s court, prior its members are back to hit over the net and ground it inside their opposition’s court.
How was volleyball created?
Morgan wanted to invent a game that has elements of Basketball, Tennis, Baseball and Handball, and a fast pace with little physical contact. Volleyball was initially called “mintonette” but when Morgan observed that the players often use volley to earn points from back and forth over the net, he renamed the name ‘Volleyball’. The first-ever official game of Volleyball was played at Springfield College in Massachusetts on the 7th of July, 1896.
Which country found volleyball?
Volleyball was founded by none other than the USA, where William G. Morgan invented the sport back in 1895. It has been almost two centuries now and a millennium.
Nowadays, Volleyball is considered to be one of the biggest international sports, and the FIVB, with its 220 affiliated national federations.
Last update on 2022-12-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API