Volleyball is one of those unique sports of the world which have a very short but impressive history. Very few people know that like Basketball and Baseball, Volleyball too was invented in the United States of America and later it travelled across the globe and became popular. Volleyball is one of the most played sports in schools because it is easy to understand, but yet it keeps on challenging the players.
Volleyball Information: What to know about Volleyball
History Of Volleyball
Volleyball has a fact and a history of 119 years. In the year 1985, William G. Morgan, who was a sports instructor in YMCA at Massachusetts, invented the game of Volleyball. Morgan wanted to invent a game which has elements of Basketball, Tennis, Baseball and Handball, and a fast pace with little physical contact. Volleyball was initially called “mintonette” but when Morgan observed that the players often use volley to earn points from back and forth over the net, he renamed the name with ‘Volleyball’. The first-ever official game of Volleyball was played at Springfield College in Massachusetts on 7th of July, 1896.
Some Interesting & Fun Facts about Volleyball
Volleyball is one of the most widely played sports all over the world that is enjoyed by both men and women. It is also among the most played school sports as it challenges the players both physically and mentally. Here are some interesting facts about the sport of volleyball.
- Volleyball was invented in 1895 by William G. Morgan who created a new game known as Mintonette that had elements of Tennis, Basketball, Handball and Baseball. Since the players mostly used volleys to earn points as they moved the ball back and forth, the game quickly earned the name of volleyball.
- The first official game of Volleyball ever to be played was held at Springfield College in Massachusetts on July 7th, 1896.
- The first 2-man beach volleyball game was actually played in the year 1930.
- The first Volleyball World Championships were organized for men in 1949 and for women in 1952.
- The game of volleyball was introduced for the first time in the Olympics in the year 1964.
- The first specially designed ball made for the sport of volleyball was created in the year 1900.
- Most players in a volleyball match jump around 300 times in a particular game.
- The longest recorded game of volleyball was played in Kingston, North Carolina. The game went on for 75 hours and 30 minutes.
- Volleyball is currently the 2nd most popular form of sport in the world today and is exceeded only by the game of soccer.
- A game of volleyball is played by two teams each having six players.
- While the list of volleyball facts, rules and regulations associated with the sport is extensive, the basic rules imply that the players are supposed to prevent the ball from hitting the ground on their own court by only touching the ball three times albeit by different players.
- Faults are calculated on double hits by a single player, four consecutive hits at the same time, touching the net while playing, throwing the ball after catching it and the foot crossing the boundary line while playing.
- Beach volleyball is a more glamorous version of the court game and is usually played by 3 or 4 players on a given side. The game of beach volleyball was included as part of the Olympics from the year 1996 for both men as well as women.
- During a match held in the Philippines in 1916, the notable skills of spike and set were originated.
- Volleyball was presented as an unofficial sports event in the 1924 Paris Olympics.
- The FIVB or Fédération Internationale de Volleyball was founded in 1947 which made volleyball an official game.
- The first professional tournament of beach volleyball was held at the Will Rogers State Beach in summer of 1976. It was known as the “Olympia World Championship of Beach Volleyball”.
- Volleyball is a highly popular sport among men and women of all ages since it is a great form of workout.
- More than 800 million people all over the world and 46 million people in America play the game of volleyball every week.
- Like any other sport, Volleyball too has a long list of rules and regulations, but to make it short, we can say that it is a game which is played between two teams of six players separated by a net.
- A player on one of the teams begins by serving the ball from behind of the back boundary line into the receiving team’s court. The receiving team must not let the ball touch the ground and return it to the opposing team in 3 tries at the max.
- An individual player is not allowed to touch the ball twice consecutively. The ball can be played either bypassing or releasing with a volley. No player in any condition is allowed to touch the net. A team who reaches 25 points first with a difference of two points wins the set.
- Each team has six players, 3 are placed on the front row and the remaining 3 are placed on the back row. When the ball is in succession, it cannot be hit by the player twice.
- A ball is considered to be out if it, Hits the floor outside the court, an antennae, any referee stand or pole, and any cable or net outside the antennae.
- It is more than okay for a player to contact the ball with any part of their body. But it’s not legal to hold, catch, or throw the ball. Once the serving is done, frontline players are allowed to switch their positions at the net.
- If there comes a situation where two or more players come in contact with the ball at the same time, then it is considered to be one play. Here any one player may take the lead, and the other may follow.
- Every time a player makes the ball touch the ground, that particular team gets that point. No player has the authority to block or attack a serve from on or inside the 10-foot line.
- When you’re competing at higher levels, the official crew may consist of two referees, scorer, line judges, and an assistant scorer.
Basic Requirements For Volleyball
- A Volleyball Team consists of a total 6 players.
- This game consists of 5 sets, any team with the best three sets out of five will win the match.
- Talking about the court, it is generally 9 m wide and 18 m long. Besides this, it is mostly divided from the exact centre.
- For Men Tournaments, the net is to be kept at the height of 2.43 meters whereas, for Women Tournaments, the net’s height is to be kept at 2.24 meters.
- As already mentioned, this game consists of 5 sets, and each of these sets has 25 points. In some cases, 15 points matches have also been played.
- You can score a point only when the ball touches the opponent’s court.
- Both the teams get equal opportunities to touch the ball prior to batting it across with their hands. Well, here the ball has to be touched by three different people.
- The Libero player is the one who is specialized in defensive skills. This player dons a different colour jersey from his / her other teammates.
- The ball used in volleyball games is made from synthetic leather with a circumference of 65–67 cm and a weight of 260–280 g.
- A competitive volleyball match lasts for 60 – minutes whereas a social volleyball lasts for 45 – minutes.
- Also Read: Greatest Volleyball Players
Beach Volleyball is a glamorous version of Volleyball. It is as competitive as the original game is. It was started in the 1920s in Santa Monica in California. Beach Volleyball consists of 3 to 4 players. The game became an instant hit and was included in the 1996 Olympics for both men and women categories.
The game of volleyball was invented almost 119 years ago by William G. Morgan. He
was a sports instructor at the YMCA in Massachusetts. Morgan wished to bring a sport that
was not much physically demanding and that is how he found Volleyball. For him,
Volleyball was an alternative to Naismith’s basketball that would attract a larger number of
One of the main objectives of volleyball is to score more points than the opposing team.
It can be done by throwing the ball over the net and putting it inside the opposing team’s
court, prior it’s members are back to hit over the net and ground it inside their
Morgan wanted to invent a game which has elements of Basketball, Tennis, Baseball
and Handball, and a fast pace with little physical contact. Volleyball was initially called
“mintonette” but when Morgan observed that the players often use volley to earn points
from back and forth over the net, he renamed the name with ‘Volleyball’. The first-ever
official game of Volleyball was played at Springfield College in Massachusetts on 7th of
Volleyball was founded by none other than the USA, where William G. Morgan invented
the sport back in 1895. It has been almost two centuries now and a millennium.
Nowadays, Volleyball is considered to be one of the biggest international sports, and the
FIVB, with its 220 affiliated national federations.
Types Circumference cm (inches) Mass grams (ounces)
Standard indoor 65-67 (25.5 – 26.5) 260-280 (9.2 – 9.9)
Youth indoor 63-65 (25-26) 260-280 (9.2 – 9.9)
Beach 66-68 (26-27) 260-280 (9.2 – 9.9)
Each ball varies on the size according to the setting they are in, such as indoor or outdoor. Every type of volleyball game comes with its own challenges, based on which the balls are designed for the players.