Some of the Interesting Facts about Eredivisie
(Last Updated On: September 22, 2014)
After knowing what Eredivisie is all about now it is time to know some of the interesting facts about this premier Dutch football League.
- Before Eredivisie came into existence, there was no professional football in the Netherlands till 1953-54 as the Royal Dutch Football Association or KNVB was not of the opinion that any club should pay its player.
- There are two leagues in the Netherlands the Eredivisie is the premier league where the other one is Eerste Divisie
- Total 18 clubs across the Netherlands participate in the Eredivisie and at the end of the season the top team is declared as champions and the bottom positioned team is relegated to Eerste Divisie.
- Similarly, at the end of the season the top team of the Earste Divisie is promoted to play for the Eredivisie in the next season.
- In both the leagues all the teams play twice against each other on a home and away basis.
- The Dutch Football Club from Amsterdam, AFC Ajax has won a most number of titles in the Eredivisie. FC Ajax has won 33 titles in all. PSV Eindhoven is next with 21 titles and Feyenoord is third with 25
- After 2012-13 season Eredivisie is ranked 8th best soccer league in Europe by the UEFA.
- The official name of Eredivisie is KPN Eredivisie. KPN is the leading mobile network providing company in the Netherlands.
- Between 2002-2005 Eredivisie was sponsored by Sponsorloterij a Casino company and the Dutch Government was against this.
- In 2012 it was revealed the Rupert Murdoch holding company Fox Sports has been awarded with the rights to telecast Eredivisie for next 12 years, starting from 2013/14 season at the expense of 1 billion Euros.
- Ruud van Nistelrooy scored 37 goals in the 2000 season and became the first one to score that many goals in the single season in the Eredivise
- Nistelrooy, Gullit, Koeman, Romario and Ronaldo are some of the great football players who have played in the Eredivisie.
- One of the clubs of Eredivisie, PSV Eindhoven runs its own magazine as well which is called PSV Inside. The club has been sponsored by the Philips,
- The average attendance at the stadiums for Eredivisie was 19, 827 during the 2013/14 season.
(Visited 394 times, 1 visits today)