Rugby Union for Women took a time to get the recognition but since it has, major rugby union tournaments for women have been organized regularly. Apart from the Rugby World Cup for Women, there are 7 more major rugby tournaments for women currently are on the offer. Let us have a peek at all those important events here in this article.
Major Rugby Union Tournaments for Women
Canada Cup, NACRA Women’s Rugby Championship FIRA Women’s European Championship, Women’s Six Nations Championship, Women’s International Rugby Union Sevens, Women’s Rugby League and Women’s Rugby World Cup. These are the major Rugby Union Tournaments for Women. Let us get some details about each of these tournaments now.
- Canada Cup: Canada Cup has been hosted by Canada since 1993. Total 3 to 4 teams participate in rotation basis. Canada, England, France, New Zealand, Scotland, the United States and Wales have been major participating countries for the Canada Cup. New Zealand has dominated the tournament with 4 wins.
- NACRA Women’s Rugby Championship: The women’s rugby tournament specially formed for the West Indian countries. It was started in 2003 and been played between 4 West Indian countries like the Cayman Islands, Guyana, Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago. Trinidad and Tobago as won the tournament thrice.
- FIRA Women’s European Championship: As the name suggests the tournament is held between the European nations only. There are total 19 teams who participate in the tournament. England and France have won the tournament 5 times since its inception in 1988.
- Women’s Six Nations Championship: Just like men’s, women’s major European nations too play this six a side championship. England, Ireland, France, Italy, Scotland and Wales participate in this tournament. England leads the pack of both overall wins and the ‘Grand slam’ wins as well.
- Women’s International Rugby Sevens: Unlike any other tournament the Rugby Sevens for women, which is the short form of Rugby is played in numerous countries. Currently, according to points system which is established, the New Zealand is leading the points table, whereas Canada and the United States are at No. 2 and No. 3.
- Women’s Rugby League: It’s a club championship, which is played between major rugby union playing nations’ club teams.
- Women’s Rugby Union World Cup: The premier rugby union tournament for women. To get all the details about it click here.