Basic Information about Neymar Jr.
Full Name: Neymar da Silva Santos Junior
Date of Birth: 5th February 1992
Place of Birth: Mogi das Cruzes, Brazil
Height: 1.75 meters (5 ft 9 in)
Playing Position: Winger, Forward
Current Club: PSG
National Team: Brazil
Jersey Number: 10
Turned Pro: 2009
1999 – 2003 Portuguesa Santista
2003 – 2009 Santos
2009 – 2013 Santos
2013 – 2017 Barcelona
2017 – Present PSG
2009 Brazil U17
2011 Brazil U20
2012 Brazil U23
2010 till date Brazil
Personal and Early life of Neymar Jr.
Son of mechanic Neymar da Silva Santos (from whom he inherited the name) and Nadine Santos, Neymar was born in the city of Mogi das Cruzes, in the Metropolitan Region of São Paulo, on February 5, 1992, but still very young he moved to São Paulo. Vicente and then to Santos. In 2003, at the age of 11, he reached the youth teams at Santos, where he never left until he became a professional.
When Neymar still did not earn enough to support the family, he, his father, mother and sister lived in a room in his grandmother’s house, on the outskirts of São Vicente. With the money and already foreseeing the success of their son, the family bought their first property, an apartment next to Vila Belmiro. As the teenager grew up, the family’s standard of living improved. At 15 years old, Neymar earned 10 thousand reais a month. At 16, 25 thousand, and at 17, when he became a starter in the Santos main team, the first sponsorships came. Neymar is an evangelical, and attends the Baptist Church with his family.
Professional Career of Neymar Jr.
In the year 2009 Neymar made his debut for Santos as a ‘senior’ player and lived up to the hype and the expectations fans had with him prior to start to his senior career. Within a year Neymar became a football star in the Brazilian League and earned the Best Young Player award in 2010 itself. In 2010 with his spectacular performance, Santos won the league and also Copa do Brasil championship. This was the first title of four more to come in a row. Same year Neymar made his international debut and became a instant hit with his playing style and also hair style as well. He was awarded FIFA Goal of the Year in 2011 and he led Santos to its first ever Copa Libertadores Championship in 48 years!
In May 2013 Neymar announced that he is going to debut in European soccer as well with a transfer to FC Barcelona where he had teammates like Lionel Messi and other popular Spanish footballers. With winning of 2013 Confederations Cup for Brazil he silenced his critics for once and for all and started to look forward to reach many heights.
Neymar started 2015 with a brilliant performance against Atlético Madrid in the quarterfinals of the Spanish Cup, scoring twice in the Catalan victory by 3-2 at Vicente Caldeirón, ensuring his classification in the final of the competition. On April 21, 2015 Neymar was the protagonist of the victory that placed Barcelona in the semifinal of the Champions League, scoring both goals in the confrontation against PSG (2-0) at the Camp Nou , with the his second goal competing as one of the most beautiful in Europe . Neymar was once again the protagonist in the match againstBayern Munich in the Champions League semifinal, where they scored the two goals that ensured the classification of the Blaugarna team for the final.
In the Spanish Cup final the 11 shirt also had another great performance, helping Barça defeat Athletic Bilbao 3-1 to win their second title of the season. The shirt 11 scored the second goal of the game, and caused controversy towards the end of the match when he tried to apply a reel to an opponent’s defender, and this dribble is considered a disrespect in Bilbao. In the final of the 2014–15 Champions League, Neymar scored the goal that ensured the 3-1 victory and the treble of the season. With a great performance, the Brazilian was the best on the field, and ended the competition between the top scorers with ten goals scored.
In December he played in the 2015 FIFA Club World Cup final against River Plate. Despite not having a brilliant performance, Neymar gave important assists and made beautiful individual plays, helping the Catalan club to win 3-0 and win their fifth title of the year.
- Campeonato Paulista: 2010, 2011, 2012
- Copa do Brasil: 2010
- Copa Libertadores: 2011
- Recopa Sudamericana: 2012
- La Liga: 2014–15, 2015–16
- Copa del Rey: 2014–15, 2015–16, 2016–17
- Supercopa de España: 2013
- UEFA Champions League: 2014–15
- FIFA Club World Cup: 2015
Ligue 1: 2017–18, 2018–19, 2019–20
Coupe de France: 2017–18, 2019–20, 2020–21
Coupe de la Ligue: 2017–18, 2019–20
Trophée des Champions: 2018, 2020
- Brazil U20
- South American Youth Championship: 2011
- Summer Olympics: 2016; runner-up: 2012
- FIFA Confederations Cup: 2013
Neymar Career Statistics
Neymar Individual Awards
- Campeonato Brasileiro Série A Team of the Year: 2010, 2011, 2012
- Chuteira de Ouro: 2010, 2011, 2012
- Bola de Prata: 2010, 2011
- Bola de Ouro: 2011
- Campeonato Brasileiro Série A Best Player: 2011
- World Soccer Young Player of the Year: 2011
- Copa Libertadores Most Valuable Player: 2011
- FIFA Club World Cup Bronze Ball: 2011
- South American Footballer of the Year: 2011, 2012
- FIFA Puskás Award: 2011
- Bola de Ouro Hors Concours: 2012
- FIFA Confederations Cup Golden Ball: 2013
- FIFA Confederations Cup Bronze Shoe: 2013
- FIFA Confederations Cup Dream Team: 2013
- FIFA World Cup Bronze Boot: 2014
- FIFA World Cup Dream Team: 2014
- Samba Gold: 2014, 2015, 2017, 2020
- UEFA Champions League Squad of the Season: 2014–15, 2019–20, 2020–21
- La Liga Best World Player: 2014–15
- La Liga Player of the Month: November 2015
- UNFP Ligue 1 Player of the Year: 2017–18
- UNFP Ligue 1 Team of the Year: 2017–18, 2018–19, 2020–21
- UNFP Ligue 1 Player of the Month: December 2017, January 2020
- UEFA Team of the Year: 2015, 2020
- FIFA FIFPro World11: 2015, 2017
- FIFA FIFPro World11 2nd team: 2013, 2014, 2016, 2018
- FIFA FIFPro World11 nominee: 2019 (6th forward), 2020 (6th forward)
- IFFHS World’s Best Playmaker Bronze award: 2017
- IFFHS Men’s World Team: 2017
- IFFHS World’s Best Man Player of the Decade 2011–2020: 4th place
- ESM Team of the Year: 2017–18
- IFFHS CONMEBOL Team of the Decade: 2011–2020
- Copa América Team of the Tournament: 2021
Neymar’s Best Performances
- Copa do Brasil top scorer: 2010
- South American Youth Championship top scorer: 2011
- Campeonato Paulista top scorer: 2012
- Copa Libertadores top scorer: 2012 (tied with Matías Alustiza)
- Copa Libertadores 2nd top assist provider: 2012
- Copa del Rey top scorer: 2014–15
- UEFA Champions League top scorer: 2014–15 (tied with Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi)
- FIFA Club World Cup top assist provider: 2015
- UEFA Champions League top assist provider: 2015–16, 2016–17
Endorsements Done By Neymar Jr.
- Epic Games
- Flutter Entertainment
- Qatar Airways
- Red Bull
The Neymar Jr. Quote
Everything in my life has happened very early, personally and professionally. I am always learning; I have to.